This is the best vegan mac and cheese you'll ever make: it's easy to make (7 ingredients!), only takes 20 minutes from start to finish, nut free, and just like the real thing!
- 12 oz macaroni pasta, cooked in salted water (gluten free or regular)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour (or regular AP flour)
- 2 1/2 cups plain unsweetened oat milk (or other unsweetened plant-based milk)
- 3 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. We use 1 tsp of salt per 4 cups of water.
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Once completely melted, whisk in gluten free flour until it forms a smooth paste.
- Slowly stream in milk, whisking well, until completely incorporated. Let simmer for a few minutes until it starts to thicken, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add in salt, pepper and vegan cheese and stir well. Vegan cheese takes a bit longer to melt, so keep stirring over medium heat until fully incorporated into a thick, smooth, cheesy sauce.
- Add in cooked pasta and stir well until fully coated. Enjoy!
Can use a mix of vegan cheddar and mozzarella if desired.
For texture, add an optional breadcrumb topping. To make, stir together 1-2 tbsp melted vegan butter and 1/3-1/2 cup breadcrumbs of choice. Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese