This vegan shepherd’s pie is full of flavor and surprisingly healthy (but delicious!) ingredients like quinoa, lentils, plenty of vegetables and roasted garlic mashed potatoes for topping.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced leeks
- 2 cloves garlic garlic, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ¾ cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup cooked lentils (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 4–5 cups peeled potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth (or milk)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (instructions below)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To roast garlic, cut the top off an entire head of garlic so cloves are exposed. Drizzle with olive oil and salt, wrap in aluminum foil and roast 35-40 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes, dice and boil in a large pot until fork tender – about 20 minutes. When done, drain and set aside.
- In two separate pots, cook lentils and quinoa according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions and leeks in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, carrots and peas and sauté about 5 minutes, until tender. Add cooked lentils, quinoa, spinach, vegetable broth, tarragon, parsley, salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a separate small pan, whisk together oil, gluten free flour and vegetable broth until no clumps of flour remain. Let simmer for a minute or two, then pour into vegetable/lentil/quinoa mixture. Let simmer to absorb most of the broth, but if it starts to dry out completely, add more broth.
- When garlic is ready, add to potatoes and mash. Add vegan butter, broth and salt and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Assemble pot pie in a large baking dish, or 6 mini dishes (like the ones pictured here). Add an even layer of vegetable/lentil mix, then a layer of mashed potatoes. Spread evenly. Dust with paprika and bake at 400 F for 25 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are golden brown on top.