This Vegan Lemon Pasta is quick and easy to make, ready in just 30 minutes. A creamy dairy free ricotta and parmesan sauce pairs perfectly with bright lemon zest, garlic and fresh herbs for flavorful dinner that the whole family will love.
- 12 ounces pasta of choice (reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 cups nondairy milk (we used oat milk)
- 4 ounces vegan ricotta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan
- Cook the pasta in 3 quarts of salted water until al dente (2 minutes shy of the recommended cooking time). Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- Add ricotta, 1/2 of the milk, salt and lemon pepper seasoning to a bowl and whisk well.
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring often so the garlic does not burn.
- Add in the lemon juice and zest and stir well. Whisk in the ricotta/milk mixture and the remaining milk. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add in the cooked pasta and parsley, tossing well to coat. Continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes. If the sauce starts to thicken too much, add in a few tablespoons of reserved pasta water until it reaches desired consistency. For a creamier pasta, you can use up to 3/4 cup of reserved pasta water.
- Top with parmesan (and more parsley + lemon zest) and serve warm.
Lemon pepper seasoning: If you can't find/don't have lemon pepper seasoning, add in an additional 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest, a bit more salt, and 1/2-3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Pasta water: Make sure to salt the water prior to boiling (we add 1 teaspoon of salt for every quart of water). It's important to save some of the pasta water for later use (we ended up using about 1/2 cup), which makes the sauce extra creamy and helps loosen it up if it thickens up too much.
Add a vegetable: We love adding 1-2 cups of vegetables, like frozen peas, asparagus, zucchini, spinach or broccoli. Peas are my personal favorite (and they don't require any extra cooking if you use frozen!). If using a vegetable that requires cooking, add them in with the garlic and sauté until tender.
Storage: Store for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat leftovers, add a few tablespoons of milk to a pan with the pasta to loosen it up. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 349.3 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
Keywords: vegan lemon pasta