Say hello to your new favorite cookie! These vegan lemon cookies are soft, sweet, delightfully tart, and dipped in a lemon glaze. Sweet but not too sweet, fully vegan, gluten free optional and easy to make. Truly the perfect cookie!
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten free 1-to-1 flour*
- 1 cup almond flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter, slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Pinch of salt
- More lemon zest for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F / 175˚C. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (the dry ingredients).
- In another large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to mix the melted butter, agave, sugar, lemon extract, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice (the wet ingredients).
- In 2-3 batches, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Use a cookie scooper to scoop cookie dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Use the bottom of a glass or a round measuring cup to press the cookies down so they are each about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) thick. (They don't spread much in the oven, so this is an essential step). Place the cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Remove from freezer and bake for 9-10 minutes. The cookies will still be pale, but will continue to cook slightly when you remove from oven. Let cool completely before topping with glaze.
- While the cookies are cooling, whisk together all of the lemon glaze ingredients until there are no lumps left.
- Once the cookies are cooled, frost each cookie with glaze and sprinkle with some lemon zest.
*If you're not gluten free, you can substitute both the gluten free flour and the almond flour with regular all purpose flour (3 cups total).
Flattening the cookie dough: Use the bottom of a glass or a measuring cup to flatten the cookie dough balls before baking. Make certain not to skip this step, as the cookies do not spread much while baking.
Be sure to pop the cookies in the freezer before baking. This will give the butter in your cookies a chance to firm up before baking, and the flour a chance to hydrate. This will result in a chewier cookie.
Don't over bake the cookies! As you can see in photo #5 above, the cookies will be pretty pale in color once they are finished baking. They will continue to bake slightly and dry out as they cool, so don't worry if they seem under baked.
Let the lemon zest (for topping) dry out while you bake the cookies. Zest the lemon and spread it out on a plate or sheet pan, then let it dry out while the cookies bake and cool. This will make it easier to top the cookies after glazing them – it's hard to do when the zest is still wet.
Storage: store in an airtight container for up to one week. You can store at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You can also freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost to room temperature before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 11.9 g
- Sodium: 113 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
Keywords: vegan lemon cookies