This vegan lasagna soup is one of the coziest possible dinner recipes you can imagine! With a hearty tomato broth, plant-based ground "beef", tender lasagna noodles and a dollop of creamy vegan ricotta for topping, every bite is absolutely delicious. Way easier to make than regular lasagna, ready in about 45 minutes and perfect for a weeknight.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (~2-3 cloves)
- 8 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms
- 12 ounces plant-based ground "meat" (we used Impossible beef)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6-8 lasagna noodles
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces vegan ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles in salted water according to package directions. Drain and use kitchen shears to cut each noodle into four pieces.
- While the noodles are cooking, add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the meat and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add vegetable broth and both cans of diced tomatoes. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add in lasagna noodles and fresh parsley and continue cooking for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir together ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan in a bowl. Serve soup with a dollop of ricotta mixture on top (or stir it in).
Plant-based meat substitute: If you don't like meat substitutes/don't have access to any, lentils and/or more mushrooms are a great substitute. You can cook about 3/4 cup of dry lentils separately before adding to the finished soup. Alternatively, add the dry lentils to the soup when you add in the broth and let them cook in the broth.
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on stovetop.
Freezer: let the soup cool completely before transferring to a freezer safe container. You can freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat in a pot over low until fully warmed.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 976.8 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 27.1 g
Keywords: vegan lasagna soup