These are the BEST EVER soft and chewy vegan and gluten free chocolate chip cookies. They're loaded with two kinds of chocolate and chilled before baking for the under-baked, delicious cookie perfection. (Adaptation for non-gluten free regular cookies in the notes section!)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup oat flour*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks
- Optional: flaky salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Stir together flax meal and water and let sit to thicken for 15 minutes.
- Melt vegan butter. (To prevent a mess in the microwave, we suggest doing so in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove.) Once melted, add to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add both types of sugar and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flax "egg" and vanilla to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add dry mixture to wet ingredients in a few batches until fully incorporated. Fold in both types of chocolate.
- Using a large cookie dough scoop (2-3tbsp), scoop out dough and arrange on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Don't skip this step, otherwise the dough will spread a lot in the oven.
- Bake 5-6 cookies at a time (they spread quite a bit) for 12 minutes. (If baking smaller cookies, bake for 9-10 minutes).
- Optional: Immediately after removing from the oven, use the inside curved part of fork to press the edges of the cookie in to create crinkly, crispy edges. Sprinkle with flaky salt (optional).
- Let cookies cool for 10 minutes, then enjoy!
*For regular gluten-containing version, substitute gluten free all purpose flour AND oat flour with 1 1/2 cups regular all purpose flour. You do not need oat flour if making with regular flour.
For a less doughy, slightly drier cookie, add an extra 2 tbsp of gluten free flour to the recipe.
Don't skip the chilling. If you do, these cookies will spread a TON and they will be super thin.
Storage: Store leftover cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also store these cookies in the freezer for up to 6 months. They honestly taste amazing straight from the freezer (kind of like cookie dough!) or you can reheat each cookie for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
You can also freeze the dough and bake at a later date. Freeze the dough into pre-portioned balls on a sheet pan. Once frozen, transfer to a container or bag and freeze for up to 6 months.You can bake the frozen dough straight from the freezer – they may just need an extra minute or two in the oven.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies