You'll LOVE this perfectly fluffy, delicious vegan and gluten free 3-layer funfetti birthday cake with a creamy, rich vanilla buttercream!
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegan creamer (or nut milk)
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese (optional; can sub with more butter)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 tbsp almond milk if needed
- Set out butter, applesauce, creamer, and lemon for 30 minutes to warm to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 335˚F. Grease and flour 3 8-inch cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together gluten free flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream butter with an electric mixture until light and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in a quarter of the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Add another quarter of the flour, then add the applesauce and mix until well combined. Add in remaining flour in two batches.
- Add in the lemon juice and creamer/milk and mix just until the batter comes together. Gently fold in sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 and transfer to cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating once halfway through cook time. The cake is finished when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely, at least one hour, but preferably 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, add butter and cream cheese to a stand mixer and cream until light and smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat on medium speed for a few minutes until the frosting is fluffy and light. Add in vanilla, salt and milk if needed.
We use round 8-inch parchment paper to line our cake pans.
Baking tip: lemon juice and baking soda create a chemical reaction that helps vegan baked goods rise. Since it happens pretty quickly, it's best to get your cakes baking right away so the reaction happens in the oven!
Tip: for extra smooth frosting, sift the powdered sugar before adding to the butter.
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan funfetti cake