Fluffy, delicious gluten free vegan cornbread made with just 10 ingredients! This basic recipe is a perfect side for soups and chilis, holiday mains, or to use in stuffing. It's also refined sugar free and so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons flax meal, divided
- 1 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C. Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 10 minutes, until the flax absorbs the water.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining 1 tablespoon of flax meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, maple syrup, flax "egg" (flax + water), lemon juice and melted butter.
- Using a spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined (don't overmix). Let the batter sit for 15 minutes, then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 33-36 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
*Not gluten free? Sub the gluten free all purpose flour with an equal amount of regular all purpose flour!
Cornmeal: be sure to use fine cornmeal in this recipe, not coarse cornmeal. Fine cornmeal has a texture more similar to regular flour, whereas coarse is more similar to polenta/grits texture.
Nondairy milk: for best results, let the milk sit out until it reaches room temperature before adding to this recipe. If it's too cold, it won't mix well with the melted butter. We typically use oat milk in this recipe, which has a neutral flavor and creamy texture.
Lemon juice: don't leave it out! The acid interacts with baking soda to create a rise while this cornbread is baking, which is essential since gluten free vegan baking doesn't work quite like regular baking.
Pan sizes: we typically use a 9x9 or 11x9 inch pan, which results in a good-sized slice that's not too thick. I wouldn't suggest using a 13x9" dish, otherwise the cornbread will be pretty thin. Alternatively, you can use a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet to make this cornbread, or another circular cake pan.
Let the batter sit: in the recipe instructions, we note to let the mixed batter to sit for 15 minutes before baking. This allows the flax meal to absorb the liquid in the batter, which results in a fluffier, less dense cornbread.
Make into muffins: Prepare the batter as listed in this recipe, then fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Storage: This cornbread will stay fresh for 1 to 2 days covered at room temperature. For longer storage, store in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave or oven.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 367.3 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
Keywords: vegan cornbread, gluten free vegan cornbread