You won't miss the clams in this classic New England-style vegan "clam" chowder made with mushrooms. We were blown away by how authentic this tastes – give it a try ASAP!
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups yellow potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups vegan heavy cream substitute*
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely minced
- Soup crackers for topping
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 16 oz shiitake mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 1/2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (we used low sodium)
- Heat a large soup pot to medium and add the butter. Add the onions and sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the potatoes, celery, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the white wine, vinegar, broth and cream and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the miso and tamari until no lumps remain. Add the butter to the pan, followed by the mushrooms.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the mushrooms are softened and some of the liquid has evaporated. Reduce the heat slightly and add in the miso/tamari mixture. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce reduces.
- Remove about 3 cups of soup from the soup pot and blend until smooth. This gives the chowder its quintessential creamy texture. Add back to the pot, add in the shiitake "clams" and chopped parsley and stir well.
- Enjoy hot topped with soup crackers!
*We used an unsweetened, unflavored vegan creamer in this recipe. You can also use full fat oat milk or another heavy cream substitute. If you can't find anything suitable, you can technically also use coconut milk, but it will change the flavor.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan clam chowder