This vegan chile con queso is spicy, cheesy, rich, absolutely delicious, and perfect for serving a crowd! We'll be serving this up at our Super Bowl party with plenty of tortilla chips to go around.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced yellow onion (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 cups button mushrooms, finely diced (16 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils (1 cup dry)
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
Chipotle Queso Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2-3 hours in room temp water
- 1 cup roughly diced carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, quartered (2-3 potatoes)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp agave
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp sauce from can of chipotles in adobo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Tortilla chips for serving
- Soak cashews in a bowl with filled with room temp water for 2-3 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Toss carrots and potatoes in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until fork tender. Let cool.
- While vegetables are roasting, cook 1 cup of dried lentils separately in a small pan according to package directions in 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth. You may also use salted water if you wish.
- Preheat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil and diced onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and chipotle powder and stir well. Cook for additional 10 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and diced tomatoes. Stir well and let cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add roasted potatoes and carrots, cashews, water, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice, salt, cumin, agave, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and olive oil to a blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust spice and salt as desired.
- Pour cheese sauce over lentil mixture and stir well to combine. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dips
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 936.1 mg
- Fat: 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.9 g
- Fiber: 9.4 g
- Protein: 19.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan chile con queso