This quick and easy vegan cheese sauce is perfect for nachos, soft pretzels, mac and cheese, burgers, and even roasted vegetables for picky kids. It comes together in less than 10 minutes with just 5 ingredients!
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk (we used oat milk)
- 8 oz shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Optional: Pinch of cayenne
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, and then whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Once the mixture is warm, stir in shredded cheddar cheese. Stir frequently until the cheese is completely melted – this may take several minutes depending on the brand of vegan cheese. Add salt and chili powder, and the optional cayenne and whisk well.
Each brand of vegan cheese is slightly different: Note that some brands take longer to melt than others. We have tried this recipe with several brands and it always works, but some take up to 15 minutes for the cheese shreds to fully melt and incorporate into the sauce. Additionally, some cheeses end up making this sauce thicker, and some thinner. If the sauce is too thin, add in more cheese. If it's too thick, whisk in more milk.
Stir often over low heat: For best results, keep it low and slow to prevent burning.
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.
Reheating: The sauce will thicken significantly in the refrigerator, so you'll need to reheat in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in another tablespoon or two of milk to loosen up the sauce if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 596.2 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.2 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
Keywords: vegan cheese sauce