This vegan pesto makes use of an ingredient that’s often tossed in the trash.
- 1 cup basil
- 2 cups carrot top greens (washed well and stems removed)
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 of a medium lemon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil (more to thin out if desired)
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to a blender or food processor and blend.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and continue to blend until pesto reaches desired consistency.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Pistachios can be substituted for pine nuts for a more traditional recipe.