This vegan butternut squash lasagna is the ultimate comfort food! It's made with a creamy butternut squash sauce, vegan ricotta and a spinach mushroom filling. Perfect for a fall/winter dinner or a holiday main dish.
Butternut Squash Sauce:
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp fine kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- ¾ cup plain, unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 ½ tbsp white wine vinegar (optional)
Mushroom Kale Filling:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 ½ tsp finely minced garlic
- 5 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (we used cremini and shiitake)
- 4 cups lacinato kale, finely chopped
- 2-4 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 oz vegan Ricotta
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- ⅓ cup shredded vegan parmesan
- 1 box of lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 bag shredded vegan mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Peel squash and dice into 1-inch cubes. Toss with olive oil and diced onion. In a small bowl, stir together the Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt, sage, and pepper. Toss well with squash mixture. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, stir in garlic and roast for additional 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the mushroom filling. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium high, add mushrooms and wine, cooking until wine reduces and mushrooms soften. Add in kale, salt and pepper and cook until the kale is wilted. Set aside.
- Stir together ricotta, milk, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, parmesan, and mozzarella.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Add squash to a high speed blender with milk, white wine vinegar, and ¼-½ tsp more of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with sauce (just enough to coat the bottom). Layer the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Evenly spread half of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, top with some sauce, and then half of the mushroom/kale mixture. Repeat (noodles, ricotta, sauce, mushrooms). Top with more noodles, sauce, and generous layer of vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Cover lasagna tightly with aluminum foil. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Freezer instructions - individual slices: Store each slice in a separate small container, or wrap each slice in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and freeze. You can store the individually-wrapped slices together in a bag once frozen.
Freezer instructions - entire pan: Line the baking pan with aluminum foil before baking. Once cool, freeze the lasagna. Once frozen, remove the lasagna from the pan, wrap in more aluminum foil and return to freezer for 3-4 months.
Tips for reheating frozen lasagna in blog post.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 1187.6 mg
- Fat: 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan butternut squash lasagna