These healthier peanut butter and chocolate vegan buckeyes are one of my all-time favorite vegan desserts. They're refined sugar free, easy to make and perfect for entertaining.
- 1 cup creamy, unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened to room temp
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips, melted*
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Optional: crushed, salted peanuts for coating
- Stir together oat flour, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy using an electric hand mixer. Add peanut butter and continue mixing until smooth. Add in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Cover bowl with tea towel and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator. Use a cookie scoop to portion dough. Roll into evenly-sized balls and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until smooth.
- Insert a toothpick into the top of each peanut butter ball. Dip into chocolate, coating most of the ball but leaving a small circle at the top (see photos). Let excess chocolate drain off, then return to parchment paper. (Optional: roll in chopped salted peanuts.)
- Refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate solidifies. Store in the refrigerator between layers of parchment paper.
*To keep this recipe fully refined sugar free, look for refined sugar free chocolate. A few brands we know of: Hu Kitchen, Lily's and Lakanto.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Buckeye
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 124.4 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
Keywords: vegan buckeyes