This cheesy, comforting vegan broccoli casserole is easy to make and topped with a crispy breadcrumb topping. It makes for a delicious fall/winter side dish (especially for the holidays) and it will definitely fulfill your comfort food cravings!
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 ½ cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in salted water. (We usually add 1 tsp of salt for every 4 cups of water) Once boiling, add broccoli and blanch for 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to a bowl filled with ice water to stop cooking process. After 2-3 minutes, strain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional few minutes. Stir in flour, then slowly pour in the milk, whisking well to prevent the flour from clumping. Once all of the milk is added, whisk in salt, pepper, and cheese. Simmer until cheese is completely melted and sauce is thickened.
- Add broccoli to a large casserole dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli and stir well to coat. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, make topping. Stir together the melted butter and breadcrumbs. After 15 minutes of baking, remove casserole from oven and top evenly with breadcrumbs and cheese. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Serve hot.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan broccoli casserole