This healthy vegan breakfast casserole is packed with veggies, potato, tofu and even plant based sausages. It’s an easy, comforting breakfast recipe perfect for entertaining during the holidays.
- 1 14-oz package firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 ½ cup diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced yellow potato
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 8oz. pkg button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 15-oz can white northern beans, drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 packed cups chopped lacinato kale or spinach
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar, divided
- Optional: 2-3 spicy or plain plant based sausages, sliced into rounds
- Optional toppings: pickled jalapeños, sliced scallions, avocado, vegan sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease an 11 x 13 baking dish. Drain the tofu, wrap in paper towel or clean dish towel, and place something heavy (like a cast iron pan or a few plates) on top. Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans in a small colander. If using sausage, cook off in a separate pan according to package directions. When it’s ready, drain as much leftover grease as possible.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes, peppers, salt, chili powder and cumin to the pan and stir well to coat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a smaller pan and cook mushrooms and kale/spinach until softened and most of moisture is cooked out. Drain and add to potatoes. Stir in cilantro and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the tofu, beans, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to a food processor and blend until until smooth and creamy. Stir the tofu mixture into the veggie mixture and add sausage if using. Add 1 1/2 cups of vegan cheese and stir well. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 35 minutes, rotating pan half way through cook time. Remove from oven, top with additional cheese and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
If you choose to add vegan sausage, cook it in another pan (according to package instructions) and strain off as much fat as possible before adding it to the mixed veggies.
Keywords: vegan breakfast casserole