This hearty vegan lentil bolognese is packed with flavor for a rich, satisfying pasta sauce. Make a big batch ahead of time and freeze excess for future dinners.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 4-5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup carrot, diced (2-3 medium carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced (3-4 stalks)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 42 oz crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cups dried green or brown lentils (2 cups cooked), cooked according to package directions in water or vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pot, then sauté onions for 7-10 minutes, or until translucent and softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and continue cooking for 7-10 minutes, stirring often. Add tomato paste, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, coconut sugar, pepper, red pepper flakes and bay leaves. Add red wine and let reduce for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lentils according to package directions in either vegetable broth or water + a large pinch of salt. Drain and set aside.
- When sauce is finished, use an immersion blender to roughly blend sauce - you don't want any large chunks of vegetables remaining, but you also don't want a complete puree. Just a few pulses will do. When finished, stir in lentils and parsley and serve over pasta of choice. Enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan bolognese