This easy vegan apple crisp is the best comforting fall dessert. It’s topped with a healthy refined sugar free and gluten free crumble made with oats. All it needs is dairy-free ice cream on top!
For the filling:
- 7 cups peeled and diced apples (about 6–7 large apples)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice* or cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
For the crumble:
- ¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts**
- 3 tbsp chopped pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Optional, for serving:
- Vegan vanilla yogurt
- Vegan ice cream
- Coconut whip
- Chopped walnuts
- Vegan caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350. Add the diced apples to a large bowl with the maple syrup, coconut sugar, apple cider, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon and salt. Stir well to coat evenly.
- Divided the apple mixture between 6 mini cocottes or ramekins. Divide any remaining sauce at the bottom of your bowl equally between the ramekins. Or, simply dump everything into a medium cast iron pan. Place the ramekins or cast iron pan on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine all of the crumble ingredients.
- Remove the baked apples from the oven, stir, and top generously with crumble. Return to the oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes until the crumble is lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let the baked apples sit for 15 minutes too cool a bit. Serve with a generous dollop of vanilla yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of caramel sauce if desired.
*Pumpkin pie spice is usually a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. You can either buy premixed or make your own.
**To make this nut free, sub in sunflower seeds.