This easy vegan and gluten free apple crisp is the best comforting fall dessert. It comes together in just a few simple steps, with a flavorful apple filling and buttery, crispy topping. All you need is a scoop of ice cream!
For the filling:
- 7 cups peeled and diced apples (about 6-7 large apples)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned whole rolled oats
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Add diced apples to a large mixing bowl with maple syrup, brown sugar, apple cider, lemon juice, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir well to coat apples evenly.
- Transfer apple filling mixture to a 9 or 10" cast iron skillet or baking dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all topping ingredients to another large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- After 30 minutes, remove the apples from the oven, stir, and top evenly with crumble topping. Return to the oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes until the crumble is lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Serve hot with vegan vanilla ice cream.
Apple varieties: our favorites for the crisp include honeycrisp, braeburn and granny smith.
Toppings: the best topping is plain old vanilla ice cream. For a slightly lighter version (hello, breakfast apple crisp), serve with some vanilla yogurt. This crisp is also great with whipped cream and/or a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce.
Pumpkin pie spice is a classic fall spice blend of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. If you don't have any, sub the 2 tsp in this recipe with 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp ginger.
Walnuts: you can also use pecans or another nut of choice. To keep this recipe nut free, sub in sunflower seeds.
Storage: store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If reheating an individual portion, reheat in microwave. If reheating the entire crisp in the baking dish, heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 37.4 g
- Sodium: 160.3 mg
- Fat: 13.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.3 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
Keywords: vegan apple crisp, gluten free apple crisp