This vegan tofu marsala is a delicious chicken-free take on a classic Italian-American recipe. With a creamy mushroom and marsala wine sauce and crispy, golden brown tofu cutlets, this is a must-make vegan dinner! Perfect served over pasta or mashed potatoes.
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
- 1 1/2 tsp fine kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 5 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nondairy creamer
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 6-8 oz cooked pasta, like linguine, fettuccine or pappardelle
- Drain tofu and pat dry. Wrap in a clean towel or paper towel and set something heavy on top, like a cast iron skillet or a few cookbooks. Press for at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours if you have time). Slice tofu into 1/4” thick slabs.
- Stir together flour, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a small, shallow container. Lightly dredge the tofu pieces in the flour mixture.
- Preheat large non stick fry pan over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 tbsp of butter. Pan fry tofu for 4-5 minutes on one side, until golden brown. Add another 1 1/2 tbsp of butter to the pan and carefully flip the tofu, cooking for another 5 minutes until both sides are crispy and browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the pan with onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, then add garlic and mushrooms with 2 tbsp of vegetable broth. Increase heat to medium high and cook until mushrooms are softened and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until al dente. (We generally use 1 tsp of salt for every 4 cups of water.)
- Add marsala wine to the mushrooms and increase heat to medium high. Simmer for a few minutes, then add broth, cream, parsley and thyme. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes to thicken and reduce, stirring occasionally. Add tofu cutlets and simmer for a few more minutes until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve hot over pasta.
You can serve this over cooked pasta of choice or vegan mashed potatoes. If desired, you can add the cooked pasta to the mushroom sauce before adding the tofu to let them soak up some of the flavor.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 834.7 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.9 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tofu marsala