This hearty bean vegetable soup is made with three varieties of beans for a nourishing, filling vegan dinner. So cozy for a chilly evening and meal prep/freezer friendly!
- 1 1/2 cups dried beans (we used 1/2 cup each of cannellini, garbanzo and kidney beans)*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Rinse dried beans well. In a large pot, cover beans with water (3 + inches above beans) and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let soak for 1.5 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Sauté onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes, or until translucent and slightly softened, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, celery and sweet potato. Continue cooking for 6-7 minutes.
- Add soaked beans, broth, tomatoes, red wine vinegar, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the beans are tender.
- Stir in kale/spinach and parsley 5 minutes before serving.
*Don't have any dried beans? Substitute with 2 15oz. cans of beans. Drain and rinse well before adding to the soup. If using canned beans, this soup will only need to simmer for 20-25 minutes before serving.
You can use just about any variety of bean, including navy, pinto, kidney, etc.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 1216.2 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan bean soup