This Thai Peanut Quinoa Salad with a rainbow of crunchy vegetables is a delicious vegan and gluten free lunch or dinner! It's packed with flavor, a creamy peanut sauce, fresh veggies and plenty of filling plant-based protein.
- 1 cup dry quinoa*
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrots, shredded, peeled into strips or sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- A quarter of a head of red cabbage, sliced thinly*
- For garnish: 1/4-1/3 cup roughly chopped cashews and/or 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (we used low sodium)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp toasted (or regular) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (can sub with 1 tsp freshly grated ginger)
- Optional: 1 ½ tbsp white sesame seeds
- Cook quinoa according to package directions in vegetable broth or water. If you use water, you may possibly need to adjust the seasoning a bit at the end.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Add to a large bowl and toss with cooked quinoa.
- To make peanut sauce, whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust as desired. Pour over quinoa/vegetable mixture and toss well to coat.
- Top with cashews, sesame seeds, more scallions and lime slices (optional). Enjoy warm or cold!
*For more flavor, we quick pickle the red cabbage before adding to this recipe. This is an optional step. To do so, first slice the cabbage into thin strips. Add to a heat-safe bowl and pour 2 cups of boiling water over top. Let sit for three minutes, then drain. Return to bowl and add juice from 1 1/2 large limes, 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir well and let sit for one hour before using.
*Allergic to peanuts? Sub with tahini or sunbutter.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: thai quinoa salad