The Tequila Mule (aka Mexican Mule) is a tequila, ginger beer and lime juice cocktail based on the classic and beloved Moscow Mule. It's perfectly balanced – sweet, citrusy, slightly spicy and fizzy – and so easy to make in less than 5 minutes!
- 1.5 oz tequila (reposado, silver or añejo)
- 1/2 oz Cointreau, Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz agave syrup
- 4 oz ginger beer
- Lime wedge & mint for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Pour in tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and agave. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds, then pour into a copper mug or cocktail glass filled with crushed ice.
- Top off with ginger beer. Garnish with a fresh lime wedge and a sprig of mint (optional).
Nonalcoholic version: to make a mocktail version of this recipe, swap tequila with club soda or sparkling water and leave out the orange liqueur altogether. Be sure to use nonalcoholic ginger beer. You may also want to add a bit more lime juice for more flavor (or even a splash of orange juice).
Orange liqueur: If you decide to leave out the orange liqueur, you may want to add an extra 1/2 oz of tequila.
Make ahead: you can make the base (tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice & agave) and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Wait to add the ginger beer until just before serving.
Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients you use. This information should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 28.4 g
- Sodium: 37.9 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
Keywords: tequila mule