Slightly nutty and seriously addictive, these tahini shortbread cookies with a date caramel filling are the new cookie recipe you're looking for! (Chocolate drizzle optional, but encouraged)
- 2 cups vegan butter, softened at room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup Soom Tahini
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For rolling: 1/2 cup sesame seeds
Date Caramel Filling:
- 1/2 cup Soom Silan
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
Dark chocolate Drizzle:
- 8 oz melted dark chocolate
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Add in tahini and agave and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, arrowroot and salt. Slowly incorporate into wet mixture until dough comes together.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour (cover bowl with a dish towel to prevent drying). Meanwhile, make date filling (instructions below).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough into balls. Use your hands to roll into a smooth ball and roll in sesame seeds until evenly coated.
- Press your thumb into the middle of the cookie, forming a deep indentation that goes almost all the way to the bottom of the dough. These cookies tend to spread a bit in the oven, so it's important to create a deep, narrow indentation.
- Repeat until cookie sheet is full, then bake for 14-16 minutes, or until slightly golden brown around the edges. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Pit and soak dates for 15 minutes. Drain well and add to blender with Silan.
- Blend until a very smooth paste forms - you may have to scrape down the sides a few times to fully incorporate.
- Fill cooled cookies with date paste and drizzle lightly with melted chocolate.
These cookies tend to spread a bit in the oven, so it's important to create a deep, narrow indentation with your thumb.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 13.1 g
- Sodium: 80.1 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.8 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.4 mg