This hearty wild rice salad is your answer to the perfect summer weeknight meal. Full of tons of fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables plus hearty grains, it's filling, satisfying, colorful and so so tasty.
For the salad:
- 2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 ears corn, cooked and kernels removed from cob
- 1 peach, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled into ribbons with a peeler or mandolin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved, or 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 cups arugula or ½ head of radicchio, hand-torn into smaller pieces
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Fresh edible flowers, such as nasturtium, optional
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl or container with a lid. Whisk or shake the jar to completely emulsify the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, add all ingredient except for the basil and edible flowers, if using, to a large serving bowl. Toss gently to combine. Add dressing and continue tossing until evenly coated. Top with basil and flowers.
If you have time, marinate the zucchini ribbons in a bowl with the juice from one lemon, a hearty pinch of salt and a grated garlic clove before assembling the salad. The longer they marinate, the more flavor they will develop. You can marinate for up to 8 hours ahead of time!
- Category: Salad