These spicy black bean and cauliflower tacos are one of our favorite options for Taco Tuesday! They’re finished with a creamy vegan avocado crema, pickled red onion, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime for freshness.
Spicy Black Beans:
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced finely
- 1/2 tbsp of adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 can black beans, drain a little bit of the liquid but not all
- One large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp white rice or arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- Optional: 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2–3 hours in room temp water
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4–1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Tortillas of choice
- Garnish: pickled onion, cilantro, lime
- In a small pot, sauté onion in a bit of neutral oil until softened – about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for a minute or two until garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, paprika, salt and chipotles in adobo. Stir well, then add black beans. Let simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend mixture – we usually just pulse it a few times so there are still some larger pieces of black beans. It doesn’t need to be a purée. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can mash with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Break up cauliflower into small, evenly-sized florets.
- Add spices & flour to a large bowl, then add cauliflower and oil and toss well until well-coated.
- Spread evenly on baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes, rotating pan and stirring cauliflower halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Drain cashews well and add to blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy – add more water if needed to thin out.
- To assemble tacos, start with a warm tortilla, followed by a layer of black beans, then cauliflower, then crema, then any garnishes.