These roasted Spanish Potatoes are seasoned with paprika, cumin and cayenne for the perfect smoky and spicy mix. They're crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, with plenty of flavor packed into every bite.
- 3 lbs Yukon gold or red potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Optional: 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Add diced potatoes to a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 40-60 minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly (this removes excess starch for super crispy potatoes).* Pat the potatoes dry with a clean towel.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/ 200˚C.
- Whisk together olive oil, tomato paste, and lemon juice. Stir in cornstarch, salt, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne.
- Pour the spice mixture over the potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Spread potatoes onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for 35-45 minutes, stirring 2-3 times throughout, until potatoes are crispy. Optional: top with finely chopped fresh parsley.
*Can I skip soaking the potatoes in cold water? Technically, yes. You can simply dice the potatoes, toss in the oil and spice mixture and head straight to the oven. However, they make take longer to roast, the spices may burn, and they may not be as crispy, which is why we suggest soaking if you have the time. Soaking potatoes in cold water removes excess starch. Starch can prevent the potato from cooking evenly and crisping up. It's super important to use cold water, not hot water!
Optional dipping sauce: Whisk together ½ cup vegan or regular mayo, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a pinch of cayenne.
Stir once or twice while roasting: This makes sure the potatoes are all cooked evenly, and also helps the crisping process so each potato has as much crispy surface area as possible!
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Make them spicier: If you love spice, double the quantity of cayenne. If you don't like spice, leave it out completely.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Spanish-American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 246.9 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
Keywords: Spanish Potatoes