This Carrot Sesame Salad is full of flavor and the perfect way to use up the bag of carrots sitting in your fridge. It makes a great side dish for just about any protein, and it's easy to prep ahead of time.
- 1 1/2 lbs (680g) carrots, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp low sodium Tamari (you can also use soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp mild white miso
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- Heat a small pan to medium, then add 1.5 tbsp sesame seeds and toast for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat once they’re lightly browned and fragrant.
- Wash and peel carrots. Then julienne the carrots and put in a large bowl. We used 1.5lbs or 680g of carrots in this recipe. Add chopped 1/4 cup chopped scallions, 2 tbsp cilantro, and 2 tbsp basil and toss well to coat.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small blender or food processor and blend for 15-20 seconds. If you don’t have a small food processor or blender, whisk the miso and tamari together until there are no lumps left and then add the rest of the dressing ingredients and whisk until mixed well. Pour over carrots and toss to coat well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let flavors meld together. Serve topped with a few more toasted sesame seeds and some red pepper flakes.
Carrot prep: Julienning is a way of cutting that results in long, thin strips. The best way to learn how is to watch this video as typing it out will make it sound more complicated than it actually is. You can also try out a specialized tool like this one from OXO.
Carrots: if you want to add some color to this dish, you can opt for rainbow carrots. Totally optional, though – regular orange carrots are great!
Sesame seeds: if you have an allergy in the family, you can opt for sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or even peanuts.
Storage: this is a great salad to meal prep, and you can dress the salad and then store in an airtight container for 2-3 days. You don't have to worry about storing the dressing separately, just dress and store.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Asian-American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 114
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 204 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
Keywords: shaved carrot salad