These Savory Indian-Spiced Steel Cut Oats are an unexpected, delicious breakfast, lunch, or even dinner! They’re naturally gluten free, vegan, and topped with dairy free raita, pickled shallots, avocado and crispy chickpeas.
- 1 cup Flahavan’s Steel Cut Oats
- 4 cups coconut milk (we used lite canned coconut milk)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup golden or regular raisins
- For topping: vegan raita, pickled shallots, crispy chickpeas, avocado and fresh mint
- Add oats, coconut milk and salt to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stir well, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring several times to prevent the oats from sticking to the bottom of the pan. When the liquid is fully absorbed and the oats are creamy and softened, stir in curry powder, cinnamon, butter, maple syrup and raisins.
- Serve in a bowl topped with vegan raita (recipe link above), pickled shallots, crispy chickpeas, avocado and fresh mint. Enjoy warm.
If you meal prep the oats ahead of time, you may need to reheat them with a bit more liquid to loosen them up again before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 932
- Sugar: 25.1 g
- Sodium: 692.4 mg
- Fat: 76.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 66.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.7 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 11.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: savory steel cut oats