These chocolate bars are packed with salted caramel popcorn, marshmallows and almonds for salty/sweet/crunchy perfection! They're 100% vegan, gluten free, made with an easy homemade coconut caramel, and easy to customize. Such a delicious dessert or snack that's both kid and adult friendly!
Vegan salted caramel:
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream (only use the solid top layer of cream from the can – not the liquid at the bottom)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp creamy almond or peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 20-24 oz dark chocolate, melted (we used between 70-80% dark chocolate)
- 2 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- 3 cups lightly salted popcorn
- 1 cup unsalted almonds
- 1 cup mini vegan marshmallows
- Remove the solid top layer of fat from the can of coconut cream. Do not use any of the liquid from the bottom of the can – just the cream.
- Add the coconut cream to a small saucepan over medium heat with brown sugar, nut butter, vanilla and salt. Whisk well until smooth. Let the caramel come to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double boiler or in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until fully melted. Optional: you can stir in 2 tsp coconut oil for a thinner consistency if desired – this makes the chocolate easier to work with.
- Add the popcorn, almonds and marshmallows to a mixing bowl. Pour the caramel over top and stir well to coat.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper. Spread 1/3 of the chocolate in a thin, even layer across the bottom of the pan. Top with 1/2 of the caramel popcorn mixture. You may have to use your hands to press into an even layer.
- Follow with another 1/3 of the chocolate, another layer of the remaining popcorn mixture, and finish with another layer of chocolate on top. Transfer to freezer for 1 hour or until completely set. Slice into squares and enjoy.
Brown sugar: you can sub with equal amount of coconut sugar.
Dark chocolate: we use dark chocolate between 70-80%. Any higher can be a bit bitter for these very chocolate-heavy bars (in my opinion), but if you like extra dark chocolate, go for it! You can use either chocolate chips or a chocolate bar – just be sure to chop the bar into small shards before melting.
Almonds: feel free to swap in peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.
Storage: these salted caramel popcorn chocolate bars store best in the refrigerator or freezer. You can store them for up to a week in the fridge, but if you're anything like us, they definitely won't last that long! Store slices between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 15.6 g
- Sodium: 53.2 mg
- Fat: 19.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
Keywords: salted caramel popcorn chocolate bars