This creamy vegan roasted red pepper carrot soup is quick and easy to make (just 10 ingredients) and so comforting! With a slight kick from harissa and creaminess from potatoes, it's well balanced and perfect for eating with grilled cheese or crusty bread.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes, peeled)
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (about 5 carrots)
- 16 oz jar roasted red pepper (drained)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp harissa seasoning blend*
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Add olive oil to a soup pot over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Add carrots and potatoes and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add roasted red pepper, salt, pepper, harissa, smoked paprika and tomato paste and stir well to coat vegetables. Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Transfer the soup to a heat-safe blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender for this. If your blender is small, you may need to blend in two batches.
- Pour into bowl and garnish with olive oil, pepper and fresh herbs. Serve warm.
We use a dry harissa seasoning blend in this soup. If using harissa paste, start with 1 tsp and taste before adding another.
No harissa? Sub with chili powder.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan roasted red pepper soup