Sweet, earthy roasted beets are the star of this vegan kale salad with feta, apple, hazelnuts, pomegranate and a simple balsamic vinaigrette. Add your favorite protein for a healthy weeknight dinner or serve as a colorful side dish.
- 1 medium golden beet
- 1 medium red beet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts (see note)
- 1/4–1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3–1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave, maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Wash beets well, trim ends, and peel. Slice each beet in half lengthwise and then slice into wedges. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Place beets on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Separate the beets so that the red beets don’t bleed onto the golden ones.
- Drizzle oil/vinegar mixture over the beets and toss well. Roast beets for 30-35 minutes, or until fork tender and slightly browned around the edges.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a glass jar, seal and shake well until emulsified.
- Prepare all other salad ingredients. When beets are finished roasting, toss in a large salad bowl with a few tablespoons of vinaigrette and coat well. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Enjoy immediately.
We recommend this brand of vegan feta cheese. Of course, if you’re not vegan or dairy free, feel free to use regular feta.
If you don’t buy pre-toasted hazelnuts, here’s how to make them at home. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spread whole hazelnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 10 minutes, then wrap in a dish towel while they’re still hot and rub together to remove skins. When skins are mostly removed, chop and add to recipe.
Keywords: roasted beet salad