Buttery, tart, sweet, crumbly - these raspberry crumble bars have it all! Did we mention they're vegan and gluten free?
Raspberry Jam Filling:
- 5 cups fresh raspberries (22-24 oz)
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp agave
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup finely diced and peeled apple
- 5 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 cups old fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- ½ cup almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup vegan butter, chilled and finely diced
- 3 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 tsp melted butter
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring all ingredients except chia seeds to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Softly mash the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon to achieve jam-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Let sit 30 minutes to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse all dry ingredients (oats, flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) until a crumbly mixture forms. Add wet ingredients (maple, vanilla and almond extract, butter and almond butter) and continue to pulse until well incorporated. You may need to transfer to a large mixing bowl and knead lightly before pressing into pan.
- Press ½-⅔ of the mixture into an 8x8 parchment paper lined pan.
- Spread jam mixture over crust in an even layer. Sprinkle remaining crumble over the top. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Melt 1 tsp butter and chop up 2 tbsp of almonds. After 25 minutes, remove bars from oven and sprinkle almonds over top.
- Return to oven for additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool completely before slicing to let the bars set.
Butter: Be sure to chill the butter before mixing into the crumble. This is an essential step to create a flaky texture.
Chia: The chia seeds in this recipe team up with the pectin in the apples to create a beautiful jam texture. Be sure not to leave them out!
Almonds and almond butter: feel free to swap with another nut or nut butter of choice (peanuts or pecans would be great!). If you're allergic to nuts, you can use a seed butter instead (sunflower would probably taste best here).
Oats: be sure to use old fashioned whole rolled oats here, NOT quick cooking oats.
Apples: really any apple variety will work here, but we suggest green Granny Smith apples (which have a super high pectin content).
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days (although these are best consumed within 2-3 days). Place parchment paper in between each layer to prevent sticking.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: raspberry crumble bars