- 1 1/2 cups cooked tri-color quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small (or one large) yellow onions, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced (2–3 stalks)
- 1 ½ cups carrots, diced (4–5 carrots)
- 5 cups small button mushrooms, halved (about 20-24 oz)
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups diced and peeled butternut squash
- 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
- 4 cups mushroom (or vegetable) broth
- 1 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 4 inch sprigs rosemary
- ½ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 ¾–2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3–4 cups chopped lacinato or curly kale
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, squash mushrooms, and sweet potato and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times. Add flour, stir well to coat evenly, then add mushroom broth, red wine, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, thyme, bay leaves, sage, 1 3/4 tsp of salt, and pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add parsley, kale and 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa. Stir well and let cook for additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary before serving.
You can also use red quinoa in this recipe.
Keywords: vegetable quinoa stew