Quinoa adds plenty of plant-based protein and heartiness to this comforting Vegetable Stew. The perfect gluten free and vegan stew recipe to add to your weekly dinner menu, it's also easy to make and ready in just about an hour.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (~1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced (2-3 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced (4-5 carrots)
- 5 cups small button mushrooms, halved (about 20-24 oz)
- 3 cups diced sweet potato and/or butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 4-inch sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 3-4 cups chopped kale
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, and sweet potato and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times. Add flour, stir well to coat evenly, then add red wine and stir well. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes to reduce slightly, then add in broth, tomato paste, rosemary, bay leaves, sage, salt and pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add parsley, kale and 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa. Stir well and let cook for additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary before serving.
Storage: let stew cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Freezer storage: Let the stew cool completely before transferring to an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat over medium in a saucepan.
Slow cooker instructions: Start by sautéing the onion and garlic, then add in everything except for the quinoa, kale and parsley. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Add in the quinoa, kale and parsley 10 minutes before serving.
Sweet potato: You can sub sweet potato with butternut squash, acorn squash, or even regular yellow potatoes if preferred.
Kale: We use lacinato kale, but curly kale works well too. You can also use spinach or another leafy green like swiss chard.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 444.9 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
Keywords: vegetable quinoa stew