These Mediterranean Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a delicious vegan and gluten free weeknight dinner.
- 4 medium-large zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooked according to package directions (3/4 cup dry quinoa)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced (1 small onion)
- 2 tsp garlic, finely minced (2 cloves)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely minced
- 1 ½ cup spinach, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, finely diced
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, diced
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts, divided
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup vegan feta (or regular), divided
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions (we usually add in 1/2 tsp of salt).
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Slice around the entire zucchini, leaving about 1/2 inch on each side. Score the interior lengthwise and widthwise, making sure not to cut through the bottom of the zucchini. Use a spoon to scoop out the filling. (Visual guide in blog post).
- Sprinkle salt evenly over each zucchini and let sit for 15 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
- While the zucchini are sitting, preheat a skillet to medium. Add the olive oil and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked quinoa, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives, half of the pine nuts, oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the onion/garlic mixture. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes, until spinach wilts. Add in 1/3 cup of the feta, stir and remove from heat.
- Set the zucchini face up in a 9x13 pan (or a rimmed baking sheet). Fill each zucchini boat with quinoa filling, then cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes, until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining vegan feta and pine nuts.
Choose zucchini that are relatively large and wide so there's plenty of room for the filling. Depending on the size of the zucchini, you may need to slightly adjust the cooking time. If the zucchini are huge, they may need longer to cook.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 566
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 997.1 mg
- Fat: 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.2 g
- Fiber: 9.6 g
- Protein: 17.8 g
- Cholesterol: 16.7 mg
Keywords: quinoa stuffed zucchini boats