This hearty Potato Lentil Soup is packed with nutritious vegetables and flavorful spices and herbs. It's vegan, easy to make, meal prep friendly, and absolutely delicious!
- 4 tablespoons butter (we used vegan)
- 1 cup diced shallot or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 pound mini potatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add butter to a large pot over medium heat. Once melted, add shallots/onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in carrots, celery, potatoes, oregano, cumin, salt, coriander, paprika and pepper and stir well. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, then add in broth and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes, until lentils are cooked and potatoes are fork tender.
- Add in kale, parsley and lemon juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
Lentils: Brown or green lentils are the best choice in this recipe. Yellow or red lentils will turn to mush when cooked in broth and are best in puréed soups.
Kale: We used lacinato kale but feel free to use curly kale, swiss chard or another similar green.
Salt: We always use Diamond Crystal kosher salt unless otherwise noted.
Storage: let soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Freezer storage: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat over medium in a saucepan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 898.5 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.3 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
Keywords: potato lentil soup