This portobello mushroom panini with melty vegan cheese makes for a satisfying, delicious vegetarian (and gluten free) lunch!
- 4 slices Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Whole Grain Bread
- 1 1/2 tbsp safflower oil (or other neutral, high heat oil)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices dairy free/vegan cheese of choice
- Preheat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add in shallots and garlic and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until softened and fragrant.
- Add in portobello mushrooms, red pepper, tamari, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms and peppers have softened and liquid is mostly reduced.
- Lightly brush one side of each piece of bread with olive oil. Start with a layer of vegan cheese, then top with mushroom mixture and other slice of bread.
- Cook in panini maker or pan until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown and toasted.
If you don’t have a panini maker, you can easily make this in a regular pan by heating to medium, placing sandwich down and compressing with a smaller pot lid. Flip sandwich after a few minutes and repeat.