Homemade vegan hollandaise + shiitake "bacon" + a polenta base makes for a delicious vegan alternative to traditional eggs benedict.
- 4 toasted Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse Original English Muffins
- Portobello "Bacon" (recipe below)
- 4 1-inch thick rounds of polenta
- Vegan hollandaise (recipe below)
- For garnish: chives and paprika
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mesquite powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Soak cashews for 2 hours in room temp water. Drain and rinse, then add to blender or food processor with all other ingredients. Blend until perfectly smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Wash mushrooms and slice thinly. Whisk together tamari, garlic, paprika, maple syrup, oil, mesquite and salt and pepper. Add sliced mushrooms and stir to coat. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Slice each english muffin in half and toast.
- In a pan heated to medium, heat olive oil before adding each polenta round. Sauté about 3 mins on each side, or until slightly browned and crispy.
- To assemble muffin, start with a layer of portobello bacon (instructions below), then polenta, then hollandaise (instructions below), and garnish with chives and paprika.
Keep a close eye on the mushroom bacon- it tends to burn easily!
- Category: Breakfast