These comforting, delicious vegan spaghetti squash boats are packed with pesto, a mushroom, tomato and white bean filling and topped with vegan cheese and crispy breadcrumbs.
- 2 spaghetti squash (smaller is better)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 14oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Kale Pesto with Ricotta:
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup well packed baby kale (or spinach)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (more for a smoother pesto)
- 1/4 tsp fine grain kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegan ricotta cheese
- Shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Wash spaghetti squash, then pierce with a fork in several places. Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave each squash (separately) for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave and let cool slightly. Slice each squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. Brush each squash with a bit of olive oil and salt. Set face side down on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all pesto ingredients except olive oil to a food processor. Pulse until everything is well combined, then slowly stream in the oil while blending until you reach desired consistency. Add in the ricotta and pulse until combined.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and add onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, then add in mushrooms, tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until the mushrooms and tomatoes are softened and cooked down.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven. Carefully flip and use two forks to shred the squash. Remove most of the spaghetti squash shreds, leaving about 1/2" border on each side. Add the shredded squash to the mushroom mixture along with the white beans and stir well.
- Melt butter and stir well with breadcrumbs.
- To assemble: spread the bottom of each squash with a thin layer of pesto. Next, fill each boat almost to the top with mushroom/white bean filling. Top with more pesto, then top with shredded vegan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Return to oven for 9-11 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are crispy and browned and the cheese is melty. Enjoy!
Feel free to use store-bought pesto to make this quicker.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Boat
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 955 mg
- Fat: 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.6 g
- Fiber: 8.2 g
- Protein: 13.8 g
- Cholesterol: 10.5 mg
Keywords: pesto spaghetti squash boats