These quick and easy peanut butter rice krispie treats are topped with a chocolate ganache for a delicious, chewy, sweet treat. Naturally gluten free, easy to make vegan, and both kid and adult friendly!
- 2 tablespoons butter (vegan or regular)
- 3/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows, divided (vegan or regular)
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Rice Krispies or other puffed rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (vegan or regular)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flaky salt for topping (optional)
- Add butter and half of the marshmallows (5 ounces) to a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium low heat. Stir frequently until the marshmallows are melted. Once fully melted, stir in the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Turn off the heat, then add rice krispies, peanuts, and the remaining marshmallows (5 ounces) to the saucepan and stir well to combine. It may take a minute or two to stir, as the peanut butter mixture will be thick. Make sure all of the rice krispies are well coated.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13" pan lined with parchment paper. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup (or your hands) to press the mixture into an even layer. Refrigerate while you make the ganache.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until fully melted. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, whisk in the milk/cream and vanilla extract. Spread the ganache over the top of the peanut butter rice krispies, top with flaky salt (optional), and refrigerate for at least one hour (or until the ganache is set).
Having trouble getting your vegan marshmallows to melt? Depending on the brand, this can take quite a bit longer than regular marshmallows. To help the melting process, we've found it can be helpful to whisk in 1-2 tbsp of water. Not sure on the exact science, but we're guessing the steam helps melt the marshmallows a bit faster!
Want a thicker rice krispie treat? Use an 8x8" or 9x9" pan instead of a 9x13" pan.
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. For longer storage, freeze in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months. (Defrost before enjoying!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cool Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 25.2 g
- Sodium: 297.2 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
Keywords: peanut butter rice krispie treats