This homemade Orange Simple Syrup is perfect for adding a citrusy, sweet kick to cocktails, baked goods and so much more. You only need 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of hands on work to make a big batch that will last for weeks.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 orange slices (with rind intact)
- Add sugar and orange juice to a small pot and heat to medium high. Bring to a gentle boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 3 orange slices to the pot. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes, then remove the orange slices.
- Let cool completely, then use in a recipe or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
Sugar: Regular granulated white sugar is great in this recipe. It dissolves quickly and easily in water and creates a clear syrup. You can also use brown sugar or raw sugar, but they will create a darker syrup with a deeper flavor. If you use brown sugar, for example, the syrup will have a caramel-like flavor and can add extra depth and richness to cocktails or desserts.
Orange: Change up the flavor profile of this simple syrup by using blood orange, tangerine, cara cara orange, clementine, or another orange of choice. You can also add in other ingredients like vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cardamom, etc for extra flavor.
Refrigerator storage: You can store this simple syrup in a mason jar or any other sealed container and stash it in the fridge, where it'll keep for up to 3-4 weeks.
Freezer storage: Freeze in an ice cube tray and defrost one or two cubes at a time when you need some simple syrup. When frozen, it should keep for 3-6 months, so you can enjoy it any time.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It may vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 32
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 0.2 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
Keywords: orange simple syrup