This Moroccan-spiced stew is packed with chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. It's gluten free, vegan, and ready in about 45 minutes. Delicious as leftovers and best served with warm pita or flatbread!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 cups diced sweet potato (2-3 potatoes depending on size)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry green or brown lentils
- ¾-1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Optional toppings: yogurt, fresh parsley or cilantro
- Preheat soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once oil is heated, add onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, and all dry spices and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are fully cooked.
- Add chickpeas and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of plain yogurt and fresh herbs.
The sweet potatoes can be peeled or unpeeled.
Optional: stir in 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley when you add in the chickpeas. Alternatively, you can add in a leafy green like kale or swiss chard.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: moroccan chickpea lentil stew