Whether you serve it as a main dish or a flavorful side, this vegan Moroccan Carrot and Lentil Salad is the perfect year-round recipe. French lentils pair perfectly with spiced, roasted carrots, pistachios and a citrus-y Moroccan salad dressing.
- 3 cups cooked French green lentils (1 1/4-1 1/2 cup dry lentils), cooked according to package directions.
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on a bias
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced finely
- 2 large cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins or sultana raisins
- 3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave or date syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Rinse and sort lentils, then cook lentils according to package directions. Make sure to add a generous pinch of salt to the cooking liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.
- Wash and peel carrot, then slice on a bias into evenly-sized pieces. Toss with 2 tbsp of the vinaigrette, then add to a sheet pan and roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through cook time.
- Head a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and diced shallot. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add garlic and raisins and continue cooking for a few more minutes, until softened and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked lentils, shallot + garlic + raisin mixture, roasted carrots, pistachios, cilantro, parsley and remaining vinaigrette. Toss until well coated. Enjoy hot or cold!
Read the full blog post for helpful tips on cooking lentils!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: vegan lentil salad