This Mediterranean Salad with Falafel is tossed in a sumac tahini dressing and topped with homemade crispy za'atar chickpeas. It makes for a delicious, filling vegan/gluten free lunch or dinner. Make a big batch of falafel when you meal prep and use it in meals all week!
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped finely
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, well drained
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp fine kosher salt
- 3/4 ground coriander
- 1/2 ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 2 1/2-3 tbsp sesame seeds
Sumac Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/2-3/4 tsp fine salt
- 8 cups lettuce of choice
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pickled onion (or thinly sliced red onion)
- Za'atar roasted chickpeas - follow our recipe here
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, green onions, and garlic. Sauté, stirring several times, for 5-6 minutes (until softened). Remove from heat.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, salt, coriander, pepper, turmeric, and paprika to food processor. Pulse until well combined. You may need to scrape sides down a few times.
- Add chickpea flour, flax meal and cooked green onion and garlic and pulse until well combined. Let mixture chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon measurement, scoop dough into even sized patties. Flatten each patty into a disk, then sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top, pressing them gently so they stick.
- Gently brush one side of falafel with olive oil and place oil-side down on baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Flip falafel and bake an additional 13-15 minutes, until golden brown on each side.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Prep all salad ingredients. Top with falafel and drizzle with tahini. Enjoy!
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean