These maple glazed carrots are the perfect vegan side dish for your next holiday get-together. With a sweet maple glaze and crispy pan-roasted pepitas, these carrots are super tender, flavorful, and easy to make.
- 3 pounds (1.4kg) carrots, peeled and sliced 3/4" thick on a bias
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted pepitas
- 3/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚F / 205˚C. Wash, peel and slice carrots into 1” thick slices on a bias (angled). Pat carrots dry to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk together maple syrup, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, pepper, and salt.
- Pour glaze over carrots along with freshly thyme, then toss until carrots are evenly coated. Transfer to a sheet pan or baking dish and roast for 40-45 minutes total, stirring 2-3 times during cooking, until the carrots are fork tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the carrots are roasting, make your pan-roasted pepitas. Stir together olive oil, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of black pepper and pour over pepitas.
- Add pepitas to a small pan over medium heat, cooking 7-8 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper to cool so they don't stick together.
- Remove the roasted carrots from the oven and garnish with fresh pomegranate arils and pepitas. Serve warm.
Slicing the carrots on a bias will create more surface area for the glaze to stick to, thus creating more flavor.
Be sure to keep an eye on the carrots during the final 10 minutes of roasting. Since the glaze has a high sugar content, it can burn fairly easily.
The same goes for the pepitas, which can burn easily in a pan. Make sure to stir them frequently to prevent burning.
To prevent accidentally creating granola, spread your pepitas out on a sheet pan after pan roasting them. This will prevent them from clumping together before you sprinkle them over your carrots.
Storage: you can store these maple glazed carrots in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days. To reheat, add the carrots to a skillet over medium heat and sauté until warmed through. If they look a little dry, add in some more olive oil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 20.6 g
- Sodium: 361.1 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.7 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
Keywords: maple roasted carrots, maple glazed carrots