This flavorful Lima Bean Soup is packed with plenty of vegetables, like buttery baby potatoes, corn, greens and fresh herbs. It's vegan, but easy to adapt with your favorite protein for a fuller meal. It's also quick and easy to make and ready in just over 30 minutes!
- 4 tbsp butter, divided (we used vegan)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (~1 1/2 cups)
- 2-3 tsp finely minced fresh garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 lb. baby yellow or red potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups chopped spinach, kale or chard
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and celery and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes, salt and pepper and stir well. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until potatoes start to soften slightly.
- Add in broth, lemon juice and bay leaves. Bring soup to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir in lima beans, corn, chopped greens, parsley, and thyme. Cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Stir in remaining tbsp of butter. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 1218.1 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
Keywords: lima bean soup