This vegan lemon rice soup is the perfect cozy, nutritious dinner. It's thickened with puréed white beans for a texture similar to traditional Greek avgolemono soup, but 100% vegan!
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 cup celery, diced (~2 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, sliced into rounds (~2-3 large carrots)
- 1 15oz. can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup dry arborio rice
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- Heat a large soup pot over medium. Add butter and onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until translucent.
- Add garlic, celery and carrots and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add cannellini beans and one cup of vegetable broth to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining 5 cups of broth, 2 tbsp lemon juice, puréed beans, rice, salt, pepper and bay leaves to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is almost tender.
- Stir in herbs, spinach and remaining lemon juice. Let cook for additional 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
You can also use jasmine, basmati or wild rice in place of the arborio.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: vegan lemon rice soup