These Indian-Spiced Veggie Burgers will take your next summer BBQ to the next level!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/4 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 cups cooked short grain white or brown rice (cook 1 cup dry according to package directions)
- 1 3/4 cups cooked red lentils
- 3/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- For assembly: buns (toasted), mango chutney, tomatoes, lettuce
- Cook rice and lentils according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrot, sweet potato, cilantro, miso, tomato paste, and sriracha and cook for 8-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove from pan and transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together bread crumbs, curry powder, salt, cumin, and coriander. Add in cooked lentils, cooked rice, cooked vegetable mixture and flax meal. Stir until well combined.
- Taste and adjust salt if necessary. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to make sure flax is absorbed.
- Make burgers into evenly-sized patties (it’s easiest to use your hands!).
- Preheat a large fry pan over medium-low heat. Brush pan lightly with high heat oil. Cook each patty for 5-6 minutes on each side (don’t over-crowd the pan!) and then transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with all patties
- Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve on a toasted bun spread with mango chutney, lettuce and tomatoes.
To easily grate the carrot and sweet potato, we suggest using a food processor attachment. Otherwise, a box grater will also work.
Don’t overcrowd the pan while searing the patties. We suggest no more than 3 patties at a time.
Keywords: indian veggie burger