Homemade ramen broth is relatively easy and hands off and it makes all the difference in this vegan version of our favorite comforting soup.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3/4-1 tsp salt (more to taste at end if needed)
- 2 tbsp tamari, divided + more to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth (if using low sodium, you may need to add 1/2-3/4 tsp salt)
- 1 4-inch piece kombu seaweed (optional)
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 oz firm tofu, cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium watermelon or daikon radish, julienned
- 2 heads baby bok choy
- 2 packs gluten free ramen noodles
- For garnish: green onion, cilantro, sesame seeds, chili oil (optional)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and shallot and sauté about 5-7 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, ginger and green onion and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Add one tbsp tamari, stir well to coat and let cook for a minute, then a little bit of vegetable broth to deglaze pan. Add remaining vegetable broth, salt, kombu, dried mushrooms and other tbsp of tamari.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for at least one hour - preferably 2-3.
- Strain broth into another pot and discard vegetables. Add miso to broth. Add ramen and cook until softened - it only takes a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, sear tofu and mushrooms in a pan over medium heat with a bit of oil (we use sesame). Prepare vegetables for garnish.
- Ladle broth and ramen into a large bowl and top with tofu, mushrooms, carrot, radish, baby bok choy (which will steam quickly in the hot broth), cilantro, green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
You can substitute dried porcini mushrooms with shiitake or another similar mushroom. If you cant find any dried mushrooms at your store, sub with fresh mushrooms.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: vegan ramen