Grilled Romaine salad, topped with charred corn, crispy chickpeas, avocado, tomatoes and vegan ranch dressing is the answer to your next summer BBQ.
- 2-4 heads of romaine, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 ears of corn, grilled, with kernels cut from the cob
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup crispy salted chickpeas
- Fresh herbs, chopped
- 1 cup plain cashew (or other non-dairy) yogurt
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Brush both sides of the romaine halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill romaine for about 5 minutes per side, watching carefully, until the lettuce is slightly charred.
- Whisk or blend all of the dressing ingredients together until combined.
- Lay grilled romaine halves cut-side up on a serving platter and top with grilled corn, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, crispy chickpeas and vegan ranch dressing.
Grilling tips: (1) Preheat your grill to medium - this will be hot enough to char your leaves without wilting them, (2) we like taking 3-4 paper towels, spraying/lightly soaking them with canola oil, and rubbing them over the grates of the grill with a pair of tongs. This will help to prevent sticking. (3) Your goal is to warm the romaine thoroughly while creating some charring on the leaves. This should take about 5 minutes per side.
Be sure to dry your romaine thoroughly after washing, as it can retain a lot of water.
Add-ons: We opted for corn, avocado, tomatoes, and some fresh herbs, but feel free to customize with your favorite summer veggies. Just be sure to add a crunch element or else the textures can be too similar. We think diced cucumbers would work well.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Grilled Romaine Salad with Vegan Ranch