This simple Grand Marnier Margarita is made with reposado tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, lime juice, and some freshly squeezed blood orange juice for color and a punch of flavor. It's easy to make, perfectly balanced and absolutely delicious for any occasion!
- 1 oz reposado tequila
- 1 oz Grand Marnier
- 2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup or agave syrup
- Salt for the rim
- Pour about 1/4 cup of salt on a small plate. Cut a slit in a lime wedge, then run it around the rim of the glass to moisten. (You can also dip the edge of the glass in agave or simple syrup.) Roll the rim of the glass in salt until well coated.
- Add the tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, orange juice and simple syrup/agave to a cocktail shaker filled with ice, and shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the margarita mixture into a salt-rimmed glass and serve cold.
Grand Marnier substitute: Cointreau, another orange liqueur variety, is the best substitute. Another orange liqueur or even brandy will also work in a pinch.
Orange and lime juice: freshly squeezed always makes for the best tasting cocktail!
Choice of tequila: We used a reposado tequila, which has been aged or "rested" in barrels for up to a year. It has nice notes of spice and doesn't pack an aggressive bite like some other tequila varieties. If you don't have reposado tequila, using whatever you have on hand will still result in a delicious cocktail.
Make ahead: if you want to make a large batch for entertaining, you can measure out all of the ingredients several hours before serving. Just be sure to stir or shake well again before serving so all of the ingredients are evenly mixed.
Best salt for rim: kosher salt is the best variety of salt for a margarita rim. We used pink salt here (mostly for the color!) and it worked fine as well.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 1256.8 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
Keywords: grand marnier margarita